Thursday, December 6, 2007

The Little Things in Life


It is no secret that I hate Winter. I don't mind Fall with its crisp mornings and sunny, warm afternoons. Spring is also great because of the crisp mornings and sunny afternoons. And what can I say about summer...it is the best. Winter is my least favorite season for a lot of reasons. Yesterday was one of them...SNOW. I hate snow. If I could stay inside and look at it, then it would be ok, but I haven't had that luxury for a long time. It is more of a nuisance than anything else and I am not looking forward to the forecast for tomorrow since I leave for work at 6:30am.

It is in times like these that I take comfort in the little things of life. I am thankful that my car runs well in the snow. I am thankful that I have heat in my house. I am thankful that I have the internet, cell phone and satellite tv. Last night, however, I was thankful for a not so little thing...Eric!

He has been battling this coughing crud for over a week and seemed to be doing really well. We kept the dog inside overnight because it was really cold (usually he likes to be outside at night). Eric started with the coughing again early in the evening. I went to bed about 9:30pm and he was still up watching tv. I remember waking up at 11pm and feeling like I hadn't slept at all. I took the dog out to do his business. When I came back, Eric was fast asleep. I guess the dog was bothering us so around 1am Eric decided he would go and sleep in the recliner in the living room. I awoke about 1:30 to the sound of Eric coughing and choking.

It took a few minutes for me to calm him down enough to catch his breath. I was able to get him to the kitchen and started the hot water running in the sink. The steam helped him to cough up a lot of junk and he started breathing better. Of course, by this time it was nearly 3. I figured it was time to get him some professional help. So I took the day off work and made him an appt. with the dr.

Interestingly enough, the dr. prescribed a powerful antibiotic and suggested the same over the counter cough medicine with decongestant that I had already been giving him. This made me feel a little better about waiting so long to take him to the dr....especially after paying the $50 copay for the antibiotic! When we were on our way home, he confessed to being really scared that he was going to die. He said that he felt like he was drowning and I rescued him. His thoughts--"Well, Sylvia won't have to worry about giving me my Christmas presents this year." My thoughts--"I really don't want to pay for a funeral right now! oh, I mean....I am glad I rescued you, too sweetheart!"
PS
He has now had some of the medicine and a good long nap. He is feeling better. I think he will survive this one. The past couple of days at work have been really difficult. Last night I asked Heavenly Father if He could help me carry that burden better. Maybe He decided I needed a day off or at least a different burden.

3 comments:

Papa D said...

I loved the final paragraph. Absolutely loved it.

and I'm glad you are going to have to buy him presents this year.

Patty said...

Ok.. after all the times I've had to be a nurse to my husband.. I can TOTALLY relate to your last paragraph!! I'm still sitting here laughing!!
And I couldn't agree with you more about winter. I think I got spoiled living in warmer climates. I'm already looking forward to spring!

Mama D said...

I am glad Eric is starting to feel better. It is always scary to wake up to that kind of coughing! And our instinct often coincides with what the doctor orders.

I'm with you and Patty in the winter blahs. Snow is pretty when you're looking at it curled up on your couch, under a blanket, with a good book and a mug of hot chocolate! My kids love it, so I let them enjoy the outdoor aspects of the season.